Wednesday, December 19, 2012

home sweet home

I'm sitting in the airport in Auckland right now, and by the time I load this I will already be in the states. As I sit here and celebrate the end of my trip with an open tab of forthcoming drinks, I can't help but feel an emptiness in my heart. I think traveling is probably sort of like a drug or how people describe the obsession with tattoos. Once you have a little taste, there's no turning back--it becomes this adrenaline rush that you become infatuated over. The more I've seen, the more people I've met, it makes me realize I've been trapped inside a bubble for so long. I've been so blind to worldly events and social and cultural differences.

I woke up this morning certain I was going to Fiji only hours after a massive cyclone had hit. I was heavily talked out of going, and urged to stay in New Zealand. I begged the staff to put me on a flight home to LA, and I was so blessed that they were compliant and very accommodating to my situation. Now, 24 hours later, I'm back in the USA already gorging myself to death on tacos and cookies.

I'm proud of myself that I had the courage to book this trip, and that I was able to do a good chunk of it alone. I've learned more about myself then I ever thought I would. Having hours and hours upon days of hearing only the voices in your head will do this to you. I experienced many trial and tribulations along the way, but I think if anything I have become stronger, wiser, more patient, and kind because of it. I hope!?

I spent approximately 170-200 hours traveling + waiting around for that travel and commuting to and from transport. That's roughly a little over a week of constant travel! After days of gruesome barf inducing traveling experiences, I really do feel like I can do anything at this point in my life. I am already extremely bored, and excited to find work immediately so I can start saving for my next trip!

Favorites on the trip: I didn't have an overall favorite because every country was so different...
1. Most beautiful: New Zealand (South island was incredible)
2. Favorite country culturally: Thailand-people were really friendly and very I felt really safe here.
3. Favorite country historically: I learned the most in Cambodia---Angkor Wat and Killing Fields were very thought provoking and educational.
4. Favorite country "fun" wise: Lao--2 day boat trip with beer and Aussies, hilarious drinking games at open air bar, I dirty danced with a dog
5. Favorite cities: Tie between Queenstown, NZ and Luang Prabang, Laos
6. Favorite beaches: Bali

actually, the more I'm typing I can find a million "favorites". I just really enjoyed this trip and highly recommend traveling. I can't wait to see and experience more, and I am so grateful for the opportunity that was handed to me!

Thanks for keeping up with my travels!

Allison

1 comment: