Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Goodbye Australia


Melbourne has been really incredible. It's so similar to San Francisco with it's cute little cable cars and trendy shops and restaurants. Every single store I've been into is perfectly planned out and decorated to a T. Andrea has taken me all around the city and I've explored most of the neighborhoods here.

The first day I came in I took the bus to her work downtown and we went for some sushi. I love the "to go" sushi in Australia....they are cheap little pre-made hand rolls that you order at the counter and can eat quickly. We don't really have places that are similar in the US, as most of our sushi isn't all that great if it's been pre-made and sat in a fridge for awhile. This was top notch, some of the best sushi rolls I've ever had!

At night Andrea took me to a work related event at this rooftop bar that was to promote a new music app similar to spotify. Friday she was "sick" and stayed home from work and took me to a place that served $2 incredible pizzas, and showed me her city on wheels. Friday night we went to a xmas party in an art studio and watched some of her friend's bands play. I met some of her lovely friends who we have hung out with the last few nights. 

Yesterday  I took off and adventured around the city by foot. I walked downtown which took me 2 hours round trip, and hit up ACMI, which is an art gallery for motion pictures. There were some really cool exhibits that were interactive. For example, there was a Wii exhibit and I played tennis against a machine and of course got way to  into it and threw my hand against a pole and bruised it up pretty good. Nerd injury!  I also stopped at the hall of remembrance which is a large building dedicated to loss of Australian war veterans. I was approached by some really strange man who I decided to be friendly with but he started getting really creepy and so I walked away. Weirdo!

Today I hit up a place called "Lentils as Anything" for the second time now. The restaurant runs on a donation basis, and given my financial situation I have taken a liking to it. More than that, it is probably one of the best meals I've had since I've been abroad. Delicious! 

I made burrito bowls for Andrea tonight and it was really good. I got stuck outside in a rainstorm when I was on foot and ran into a shop to seek cover. The weather has been pretty scummy here. The first day I arrived it was 100 and today it was probably 55 or 60. 

It's been really interesting not relying on technology to get me around town and keep me occupied when things get awkward in social situations. I am frankly sickened by the amount of people I've met up with who are constantly on their phones mid conversation. Am I really that boring that you can't hold off for 2 seconds to check your twitter page? Reaaaar, sorry I had a moment there. But I think we are all guilty of doing this at some point....I've just become more aware of it since I don't have internet access to have the option.

I've gotten very lost multiple times but rely on human interaction and old fashioned maps to get me where I need to be. I went on a run the other day and came back to what I thought was Andrea's apartment. I tried getting in for a good 45 mins before I figured out I was on the wrong street. Not my fault they all look the same!

Tomorrow I move on to New Zealand. I posted an ad on the equivalent of craigslist, on a site called Gumtree, to find a couple travel partners. I've heard back from quite a few girls that are my age that are wanting to rent a camper van with me. Hopefully I can get something figured out quickly here! This is my last country I'm in and I'm ready to go all out. I've kind of been being a cheapskate lately and I don't want to regret not seeing more while I'm here.

My brother is the best brother in the world and randomly wired me a good amount of money to borrow. I couldn't believe that he did this for me and am so grateful to have a little extra to spend while I'm here. He was emphatic that I go all out and that I will definitely not regret spending this money in the future. 

Thanks Scott! I love you!






No comments:

Post a Comment