Thursday, November 29, 2012

meeeelllllllbbbeeeeeen

After staying in Adelaide for an extra week, I was finally set to fly out to Melbourne last night, but after a couple stupid moves on my part I broke my mean travel champion streak and missed my flight. 

I was noticing the other day that I haven't been irritated at all for the last 2 months of travel. I think when you're traveling you get in a certain mindset where you can't allow trivial things to bother you anymore because it's all a part of the adventure. 

I went out the other night with Michael and his roommate Paul and I met a bunch of his girlfriends who were so lovely and nice. Their friend Nat took me thrift shopping the next morning..or what they call "op shopping". I bought a couple things that I didn't need, but who really NEEDS things anyways? We sat in an adorable vintage kitchen shop at a communal dining room table and chatted with strangers over coffee. I loved this concept and the wheels are spinning in my head with similar ideas.

We went to the cricket match, which was basically just a "who's who" event where everyone comes and drinks outside the stadium and watches the game that's being played 100 yards away on the tv screen. I really don't understand cricket, but it was fun to be there anyways. Turns out the one game that lasted 5 days ended in a wash. That's a lot of work for no outcome!

I had Michael and Paul over for dinner the other night as a thank you for entertaining me for the last week. I made pizza with caramelized onions, basil, goat cheese, and roasted tomatoes with a balsamic reduction sauce. An orzo salad, and sweet potatoes that I accidentally doused in truffle oil and made it taste like trash.  

The downtown area of Adelaide is adorable and I didn't discover it until the last couple days of my stay. It was very quaint and posh but had elements that reminded me of an old western film, or maybe similar to New Orleans although I've never been there. I couldn't afford to buy anything, but still tried out outfits and dreamt of the day I would be able to.

It's so strange to be surrounded by holiday cheer in 95 degree heat when I never had a halloween or thanksgiving to help get my bearings straight. Trying on tank tops and cute dresses while listening to Jingle Bells was different than anything I've been accustomed to around this time of year.

I am now in Melbourne staying with another friend of a friend who knows Angie and Michael from a trip to Portugal a few years back. Andrea stayed with us in SF a few months ago when she was visiting. She lives in a really cute part of town next to really good restaurants and retro shops. It will be really fun to explore the area. We just walked around and got the best Gelato I've ever had. As of two weeks ago I had dropped 10 pounds since I left on my trip and in two weeks I've already added it back plus some. Woof! 

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with another guy I met last year in SF who lives here as well. This past year was definitely the year of the Aussie. I think all signs are pointing for me to move here. Life is too easy...minimum wage is about $25...rent is cheap, people are the nicest people in the world.  I love it.  I love all the connections, and decided to re-instate my facebook page to be able to keep in contact with the people I have met along the way. 

See you in a couple days!




No comments:

Post a Comment